The hotdog. A truly terrible tube of nastiness that at one time was somehow a part of an animal. It’s hard to remember a time before most people knew just exactly how disgusting the process of making hotdogs really is. About all the bits and pieces of animals that are otherwise nearly inedible, and yet find new life in the form of a hotdog. About all the rat droppings, hair, and in some instances, human parts, that end up on your plate in the form of a hotdog. That’s a truly revolting bit of reality. Facts that have been revealed to us by people who thought it might change something. Sadly, it did not.
Why? How could people be so apathetic as to ignore such awful and stomach turning facts? Simple. Everyone’s got a hotdog. Well, nearly everyone.
You see, as emotional, psychologically complex beings, we are more inclined to “believe” a half truth, or even a boldface lie if what that falsehood tells us is something comforting, validating, or is somehow complementary of a previously held belief. For some people, this may only extend to one or maybe a few things. For others it can be all encompassing.
Over the past few years I’ve uncovered a great many of my own, and the more I discover, the easier it becomes to admit my own faults. I used to be an extremely racist, homophobic, piously religious, arrogant asshole. And those were just the most outright ridiculous delusions in which I engaged on a daily basis. I had, and still have, many others that are more subtle, but delusional nonetheless. The discovery of my own hotdogs is an ongoing and seemingly never ending process, but it's one I can't help but undertake.
So the question is, what are your hotdogs?
#closedminded #hotdogs #delusions #openminded #beliefs #evidence #apathetic #racist #homophobic #pious #religious #arrogance
No comments:
Post a Comment